Skip to main content

CR-R King Pocket LTE Review


Our neighbor's mini internet shop was badly affected by the recent typhoon Glenda. Their roof at the 2nd floor was thrown away by the typhoon's extremely strong winds, allowing the rain to pour down to the lower floor which houses the mini net café. We're paying just a little amount to them to use the internet - that's a 5mbps DSL connection.
As of this writing, they still don't have the internet connection.

That triggered me to look for alternatives to sustain the internet connection at our home. I then decided to buy an internet device at which has a comparable browsing speed as I used to before - an LTE device.
There's no available LTE pocket wife's out there. There's only 4G pocket wifi available at stores which ranges from P1,995 to P3,500(that's only up to 7.2mbps - not LTE). I tried to apply for an LTE plan at Globe at which you will buy the LTE pocket wifi for P2,999 and pay 299 each month for 50hour LTE usage. Also expensive. Aside, you'll just be having a locked LTE device (can only be used with Globe SIM cards) -- and at that time, I'm just on my 2nd week on my new job. I will then be denied to apply on any plans as I don't have the enough proof of income or any other documents.

Then I try to look at CD-R king, to buy any affordable 4G device, and was surprised on what I saw on their newly delivered items - an LTE capable dongle! I bought it then.

Below is the list of the product's features, and specs based on the CDR-King website:
•Pocket-size, portable
•High-speed Wi-Fi access router function
•Provides multiple 4G-LTE internet access
•Broadband/USIM modem function
•With Micro SD Card Slot up to 32GB
•Supports Log-in WebUI Managing page
•Supports SMS and Phonebook managing page
•Support File Sharing from Micro SD Card
•Supports GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900
•Supports UMTS 2100, 1900, 850
•Supports LTE TDD 1900, 2300, 2600
•Supports LTE FDD 2600, 1800, 2100 Long-life battery

•Wi-Fi Standard: IEEE802.11b/g/n
•Wi-Fi Band: 2.412~2.484Ghz
•Wi-Fi Security: WPA/WPA2
•Sim Card Slot: Standard 6 PIN SIM Card interface
•Card Slot: Micro SD/SDHC up to 32GB
•USB Interface: Micro USB; 60cm cable
•USB Version: High-speed USB 2.0
•Standby Time: 240 hrs
•Working Time: 8hrs
•Charging Time: 4 hrs with adapter; 6hrs with USB
•Battery: Li-ion battery, 2300mAh
•AC Adapter: 5V DC / 1.5A~1.8A; 100V~240V, 50Hz~60Hz


The Review.
Below is an actual image of the unit I'm using, while in operation:
It's quite bigger compared to the dongles of Smart or Globe, probably because of the 2100mAh battery it has inside.
It has a colored LCD screen as you see at the left side. Tile display inspired by the Windows phones. The LCD display some important notifications about the device
-The signal type and signal strength (in yellow)
-Battery level / charging status. (in pink)
-Number of connected devices. (in orange)
-SMS Notification (in green)
-In blue tile:
Operator name, time consumed of current connection and the amount of data consumed since power on / recent connection.

At the right side of the device is a SIM card slot (mini sim - the regular one), power on / display on key; and a WPS key to show the SSID and password on the device' display.

In terms of signal reception, I think this device is good as I can still get an LTE signal just wherever. Our house is quite far from the business districts, but I can still receive a bar of LTE signal from Smart and 2 bars from Globe.

For more pictures, just refer to the CD-King website, they have detailed pictures there.
I use the device continuously while in an unlimited browsing promo, so I just have the device connected to the charger. The device heats up too much. But I think that's normal.
There are times that the device is restarting automatically - just seldom, maybe because I'm using it heavily. Maybe some other broadbands also have that issue.
I'll be using this device heavily for the first months so that I can replace it if something happened wrong with the device. This unit has a 6 months service warranty.

As usual, this product is made in China. I guess it's a rebrand of a device from Alibaba.

The Device Interface:
Log-in page
You can just browse 192.168.0.1 on your computer or on your phone's browser. Default username and password is admin.
Users connected to the wifi connection can also access the micro-SD card contents attached to the device without logging in as admin.
Device Information - status bar at the top showing the things you can see on the physical device' screen.
Connected Devices. There's also a MAC filtering feature for this device as an added feature for user authentication.
Mini Speedtest. Showing you the current download and upload speeds. Also, it has a tool to let you set the amount of time or the amount of data you're using.
Data usage/ time limit function of this device is very cool. I'm using this a lot as I'm currently subscribed to Globe Tattoo LTE postpaid plan 299 which only has 50hour data usage and a cap of 3gb per month.
Make the most out of your money?  Cheapest LTE Promos.
I'm only paying P199 instead of P299 for the Globe postpaid plan as I only took SIM-only Plan. 50 hours or 3gb (Fair Usage Policy) per month is just very few for my needs. So what I'm doing is that I'm just using the 50 Globe hours while travelling / while at office to check some mails / Facebook.
At weekends, I change the SIM to Smart Bro LTE and register for an unlimited LTE usage for 1 day. There's no cap / data usage limit with Smart Bro prepaid.
Just register by texting LTE 50 to 2200.
Alam na!


SMS function. The device has a capability to send and receive messages. Whenever you receive a message, there will be an indicator on the device LCD screen.
Some settings. From basic to complicated.
SD card file sharing function.
There are 2 options for USB storage access in this device.
1. HTTP share - share file wirelessly by accessing 192.168.0.1 on browser
2. USB - access the micro-sd card's contents by plugging the device on a PC through a USB cable.

Will this device last? we'll see.

====================================================================

Of course, there will be CD-R King product haters out there. Any product will be vulnerable to malfunctions if the owner doesn't know how to take care of their devices. So far, among all my 'expensive' CD-R King devices, it's only the Android TV box (worth P2,000) that I broke. I confess it's my fault as I tried to root the device and change the ROM and unfortunately bricked the device. Already out of 6 months service warranty, I asked for a paid repair - but they just returned me the same broken unit, unrepaired, after a month - unrepairable, disposable.
Matitibay naman talaga products ng CDR-King, been a customer for more than 5 years. Basta wag na lang kalikutin yung device pag di naman kabisado yung ginagawa :)

Mareview nga mismo yung CD-R King, hehe.
Next entry nga....

Comments

  1. Good review Sir. Kumusta na sya ngayon? Balak ko rin kasi bumili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using it til now.

      Pros:
      Good battery life, accepts all SIM cards, SD card file sharing, madaling makasagap ng 4g signal. Maraming features.

      Cons:
      -When I'm using it continuously for like 6+ hours, nagrerestart yung dongle, due to high operating temperature.
      Issue din cguro to sa kahit anong brand ng pocket wifi.
      -May mga times na nakakabit naman yung charger pero di umaandar yung charging indicator bar (pero nagchacharge naman)
      -Removable 2000mah battery (pero til now, wala pang available na extra stock battery si CDR-King
      Solution: When I'm using it for long hours, I use a netbook cooler with it. Both connected to a dual USB capable charger.

      Verdict: ok naman tong unit for normal usage, travel, etc. Pero mukhang interested ako sa bagong labas ng Cherry Mobile na LTE dongle, mukhang sosyal :-)...haven't read any reviews though..

      Delete
    2. Thanks to your review nakabili na ko at na recommend ko rin sa kuya ko na bumili na rin ng sarili nya.

      In my case hindi ko naging problema ang heat dahil ginawan ko sya ng case na meron din colling fan with the back cover taken off. Constantly din attached yung charger.

      Purely home use lang kasi sya to get access to 4G service.

      Pareho tayo ng paniwala sa CDRKIng Sir. Yung may presyo na items quality naman. Dun sa mga mura, no one should expect lifetime durability.

      Salamat ulit. More power to your blog.

      @Corby - wala po antenna slot

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. :) i have to be honest though, sira po agad yung power bank ng CDR king after a few hours. must be defective unit. unfortunately, i didn't try it out right after purchase so expired na ang warranty when i found out. (no I didn't misuse it.) But based on your review, I'm willing to give the pocket wifi device a chance. -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get it started? I'm using a MacBook for this and would like to know how to get the doggle connected when I am abroad? I can't seem to start the interface on my computer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Rewrite on a DVD-R and a CD-R Without any Burning Software

Part 1 Yes! you heard it right! You can now make your CD+/-R or DVD+/-R act like a rewritable one. During the Windows XP days, this is impossible. Once you have written something on a recordable disc, then you can't save a file on it anymore. Rewriting on a discs can only be done through CD+/-RW or DVD+/-RW type of discs. These rewritable type of discs costs as much as two to five times compared with the write-once or recordable discs. As I have upgraded my operating system from Windows XP into Windows 7, I have discovered several exciting things about it. I first thought that this feature is only designed for RW discs, but I have once experimented it on a write-once disc and it worked! This discovery is among the most important feature of Windows 7 that I am using until now. I've researched on it and found out that this is possible through the Windows 7's UDF file system To do this, you need the following: A blank CD-R, CD+R, DVD-R or a DVD+R An optical burner (m

MyView 24PX100 Review

It was last month when I tried to visit lazada.ph website, and among all the products I had browsed on the website, this TV caught my attention. 24 inches Full HD LED TV with USB media playback. Asking Price? P6,500. Below are the product's main specifications you need to know, for the rest of the specs sheet, visit MyView website . SERIES PIXSMART Model 24PX100 Size 24" 580X377X43 Design Fine Polished Blac Panel Maker BOE/IPS/Sharp Resolution 1920x1080 Brightness 400 cd/m2 Contrast 3000:1 Viewing Angle 176 (H) X 176 (V) Dot Pitch 0.1615, X 0.4845mm Maximum colors 16.7M Response time 6.5ms Backlight life >100000 hrs Colour system PAL/SECAM In their website, there's in the list that states that the product runs on Android 2.3, Cortex A9 CPU, Mali 400 graphics... no no no. There's no single trace of Android in this product.

MyPhone My82 DTV Review

Finally got this phone after a week of going back to the malls and asking every MyPhone kiosks if the unit is already available.. no more long stories, let's go directly to the review (or I'll say a quick review as I just got this device yesterday). Phone Specifications: 1.2 GHz Quadcore ARM Cortex-A7 CPU 512MB RAM Mali-400 MP GPU 5 inches LCD diplay (non-IPS) 480 x 854 pixels 2000mAh battery Dual SIM, 3G HSPA+ Android 5.1 Lollipop Wifi, bluetooth LED notification (Yes, it has!) Digital TV (ISDBT) Packaging: I'll upload the picture of the box and its contents at a later time, but here's what inside the box (aside from the unit) 700mA charger (I noticed that the size of the charger is smaller than the usual) Earbuds with microphone (don't expect a good sounding earphone for a phone of this price range). Digital TV antenna. Screen Protector is already installed in the unit - but you'll just immediately remove it as it is very scratch pro